Skip to main content

African Chicken-Peanut Soup



A few months ago a cute friend and neighbor, Heather H. stopped by with a big container of soup for our family (swapping favors).  We ate (possibly lapped) it up in a heartbeat.  Heather graciously emailed me the recipe and I made it again before I started in on the whole gluten-free dealio.  So, as much as I hate to, I'm going to have to tweak it a bit... always been a "tweaker" but there are just some things you are very sorry to change.

Anyway, below is Heather's recipe and while I'm in Utah this weekend, I think I'll make the tweaked version for my family and edit it in later (will have to see how it turns out).

African Chicken-Peanut Soup
From the kitchen of Heather H.
Makes 11 - 1 cup servings

Ingredients:
Cooking spray (I use about 1 T. oil)
1 1/2 c. peeled, cubed sweet potato
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. diced red bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves
2 c. cooked and cubed chicken breasts
1 c. salsa
1/2 t. ground cumin
32 oz. chicken stock (broth)
2 - 15 oz. cans chicken and rice soup
1 can black beans
1/3 c. creamy peanut butter

Directions:
Heat the oil (or spray) in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until hot.  Add sweet potatoes, onion, peppers and garlic; saute 5 minutes.  Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.  Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes.  Serve and enjoy.

*Tweakers:
Instead of the 2 cans of chicken and rice soup, I added 1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice, 14 more oz. of chicken stock, 1 carrot, peeled and chopped and 1 stalk of celery, chopped.  Tasted great! 







Popular posts from this blog

Lake McDonald, Montana

Have I ever talked about my thing for rocks?  Have had it since I was a little girl.... loved to collect rocks and go to rock shops.  I even have a few sitting next to my bed (nothing bigger than what fits in the palm of your hand) right now that've caught my fancy the last year or so... or that someone's given me.  Like the small white one Ally gave to me from our trip to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, at the Quileute Indian Reservation beach (okay, yeah... so it was really to see 'Twilight' country, but we saw some pretty amazing scenery as well)... and then a black rock Rob found on our trip to the Oregon Coast last year. Anyway... there's this lake in Montana ... Lake McDonald ... obviously from the subject heading... and it's got shores of brightly-colored rocks.  So guess what got added to the bucket list as soon as I saw the photos?  Yep... I will go there... for the rocks.... just to see the pretty colors. 
"'Dear God,' she prayed, 'let me be something every minute of every hour of my life.'"   ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn