Skip to main content

African Chicken-Peanut Soup



A few months ago a cute friend and neighbor, Heather H. stopped by with a big container of soup for our family (swapping favors).  We ate (possibly lapped) it up in a heartbeat.  Heather graciously emailed me the recipe and I made it again before I started in on the whole gluten-free dealio.  So, as much as I hate to, I'm going to have to tweak it a bit... always been a "tweaker" but there are just some things you are very sorry to change.

Anyway, below is Heather's recipe and while I'm in Utah this weekend, I think I'll make the tweaked version for my family and edit it in later (will have to see how it turns out).

African Chicken-Peanut Soup
From the kitchen of Heather H.
Makes 11 - 1 cup servings

Ingredients:
Cooking spray (I use about 1 T. oil)
1 1/2 c. peeled, cubed sweet potato
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. diced red bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 garlic cloves
2 c. cooked and cubed chicken breasts
1 c. salsa
1/2 t. ground cumin
32 oz. chicken stock (broth)
2 - 15 oz. cans chicken and rice soup
1 can black beans
1/3 c. creamy peanut butter

Directions:
Heat the oil (or spray) in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until hot.  Add sweet potatoes, onion, peppers and garlic; saute 5 minutes.  Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.  Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes.  Serve and enjoy.

*Tweakers:
Instead of the 2 cans of chicken and rice soup, I added 1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice, 14 more oz. of chicken stock, 1 carrot, peeled and chopped and 1 stalk of celery, chopped.  Tasted great! 







Popular posts from this blog

Playing an old game.....

..... Ally and I. It happened as we were driving down Ustick Rd. the other day and saw a car with a Hawaii license plate.... then 20 seconds later Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Now, if you've never been on Ustick Rd, you might not understand the significance of that. Ally got Alaska yesterday. Guess I better get out more.

Thanksforgiving

'Thanksforgiving' is the title to my Thanksgiving Pinterest board.... And now looking at it, I just saw it in a whole new way.... thanks + forgiving... instead of, or in addition to thanks + for + giving Interesting.... wouldn't it be awesome if we all could just forgive others of their shortcomings and be grateful for them as they are and accept them at face value instead.... the way we hope they look at us? Today I think of so many things.... What comes to mind: St. George - spent many Thanksgivings there while growing up and always spent time horseback riding over that weekend 4-day school vacation Dang!  In the middle of making this list I just remembered I forgot to make the Corn Soup... ugh... The 'Turkey Bowl' LeSueur Pumpkin Crunch Torte... I made a half this year which is baking (hopefully... something's up with my oven) as I type.... and man oh man, it sure smells good! My dad whipping the potatoes into oblivion Old family China dishes