Skip to main content

Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free... 'purely elizabeth'... hehehe




 So, recently I removed wheat, sugar and (mostly) dairy from my diet.  
Can I just say, I've NEVER EVER EVER felt better.  
I've had some quiet/slow time for the past few days now, 
so I've spent them searching everything on the web from health sites, 
to blogs dedicated to these areas, to recipes... ANYTHING I can find. 

So far, my fave sites are:
&
(though we STILL don't have a 'Whole Foods' in Boise ... waaa waaa... apparently, there is one coming: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/08/07/1295046/whole-foods-boise-plan-revived.html)

The 'purely elizabeth' products sound deliciouso, but I'm not paying 8 bucks for a packaged mix that ONLY makes 24, freakin', mini... yes, mini... muffins.

This is one recipe I can't wait to try (raved about and forwarded to me by my friend Kristine <3)... also from the 'Elana's Pantry' site:



Today's post is for of one of my favorite readers, ~M. She requested gluten free carrot cake a while back and I post it now in honor of her recent graduation. I find this to be the perfect time of year for carrot cake. It's an ideal dessert for cookouts, picnics and graduation parties.

Gluten Free Carrot Cake
3 cups blanched almond flour
2 teaspoons celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 eggs
½ cup agave nectar
¼ cup grapeseed oil
3 cups carrots, grated
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
  1. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, agave and oil
  3. Stir carrots, raisins and walnuts into wet ingredients
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry
  5. Place batter into 2 well greased, round 9 Inch cake pans
  6. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes
  7. Cool to room temperature and spread with coconut cream frosting
  8. Serve
coconut cream frosting

Frosting is one of my favorite foods; in fact, I consider it an actual food group. After all, what is a cupcake without frosting? It's nothing!
Lately I have been stymied when it comes to the frosting creation process. Yes, I have my delicious vegan chocolate frosting recipe, however, I have been lacking in the white frosting department. For me this has presented hardship because chocolate frosting just doesn't work with carrot cake and lemon cake. Besides, who wants to use just one frosting recipe on top of all of their baked delicacies?!
Yes, I do admit, making frosting without butter and sugar is quite a challenge. Though for me challenge is the name of the game. So lately, I have been on a conquest for white frosting.
Sixteen batches later, I have a delicious coconut frosting that my many taste testers approve of. Unfortunately, my most important taster is traveling this week, so I confess, I don't have the ultimate seal of approval. However, I think it is still good enough to share with all of you.

Coconut Cream Frosting
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup agave nectar
pinch celtic sea salt
5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon water
1¼ cup coconut oil
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
  2. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste
  3. Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan
  4. Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender Whisk vigorously to combine, then bring to a boil, briefly, until shiny
  5. Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil
  6. Allow pot to cool for 10 minutes
  7. Place pot in freezer refrigerator for 30-40 45-120 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
  8. Remove from freezer refrigerator and blend again, until fluffy
  9. Spread over cake or cupcakes
This frosting will be great on the carrot cake which I am in the process of creating for ~M, one of my favorite readers. She finished school this month and I will post the recipe in honor of her graduation.
On another note, you may have noticed that I recently added a feature to the side bar of this site. It is a survey which polls readers as to which recipe they would like me to whip up next. Check it out and post your vote --for chocolate cupcakes, mango chicken or "candy" bars.

**May I also concur, as Elana said, frosting is most definitely a food group.  ;-D




Popular posts from this blog

Playing an old game.....

..... Ally and I. It happened as we were driving down Ustick Rd. the other day and saw a car with a Hawaii license plate.... then 20 seconds later Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Now, if you've never been on Ustick Rd, you might not understand the significance of that. Ally got Alaska yesterday. Guess I better get out more.

Thanksforgiving

'Thanksforgiving' is the title to my Thanksgiving Pinterest board.... And now looking at it, I just saw it in a whole new way.... thanks + forgiving... instead of, or in addition to thanks + for + giving Interesting.... wouldn't it be awesome if we all could just forgive others of their shortcomings and be grateful for them as they are and accept them at face value instead.... the way we hope they look at us? Today I think of so many things.... What comes to mind: St. George - spent many Thanksgivings there while growing up and always spent time horseback riding over that weekend 4-day school vacation Dang!  In the middle of making this list I just remembered I forgot to make the Corn Soup... ugh... The 'Turkey Bowl' LeSueur Pumpkin Crunch Torte... I made a half this year which is baking (hopefully... something's up with my oven) as I type.... and man oh man, it sure smells good! My dad whipping the potatoes into oblivion Old family China dishes