Skip to main content

Updating my favorite chicken curry recipe

It's no longer on the Becky Higgins blog, so the link I have for it here doesn't work....

Anyway, I switched it up a bit.... so I'll edit those changes in also.

Chicken Curry **  though, I call it 'Basil Chicken Curry'
Via Real Simple Magazine

Ingredients
1 cup white rice (I make 1 1/2)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts  (I use 4 breasts)
2 tablespoons (or more - I use at least 3) yellow curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (do NOT overdue the cinnamon.... repeat, do NOT)
2 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (I use a large)
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (I use 4 cups vegetables.... broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, yellow squash)
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I use 2 cans of coconut milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (you can flavor to taste after you add it)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (you can flavor to taste after you add it)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn (and I add about 2 teaspoons of dried basil to the cinnamon-curry sprinkling)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) almonds, roughly chopped (can also use cashews..... and I use a 1/2 cup of nuts)

Directions
Cook the rice according to the package directions.
Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut it into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the curry and cinnamon (and basil), toss, and set aside.*
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and zucchini and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Return vegetables to the skillet and heat until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Divide the rice among bowls. Top with the chicken curry and sprinkle with the basil and almonds.
*I mix the curry, cinnamon and basil together, then toss into the chicken.


For next time.....

Ingredients
1 cup white rice
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons (or more) curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, trimmed and chopped
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup (1 ounce) almonds, roughly chopped

Directions
Cook the rice according to the package directions.
Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut it into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the curry, cinnamon and basil, toss, and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, broccoli and red pepper and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Return vegetables to the skillet and heat until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Divide the rice among bowls. Top with the chicken curry and sprinkle with the basil and almonds.


Popular posts from this blog

Playing an old game.....

..... Ally and I. It happened as we were driving down Ustick Rd. the other day and saw a car with a Hawaii license plate.... then 20 seconds later Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Now, if you've never been on Ustick Rd, you might not understand the significance of that. Ally got Alaska yesterday. Guess I better get out more.

Thanksforgiving

'Thanksforgiving' is the title to my Thanksgiving Pinterest board.... And now looking at it, I just saw it in a whole new way.... thanks + forgiving... instead of, or in addition to thanks + for + giving Interesting.... wouldn't it be awesome if we all could just forgive others of their shortcomings and be grateful for them as they are and accept them at face value instead.... the way we hope they look at us? Today I think of so many things.... What comes to mind: St. George - spent many Thanksgivings there while growing up and always spent time horseback riding over that weekend 4-day school vacation Dang!  In the middle of making this list I just remembered I forgot to make the Corn Soup... ugh... The 'Turkey Bowl' LeSueur Pumpkin Crunch Torte... I made a half this year which is baking (hopefully... something's up with my oven) as I type.... and man oh man, it sure smells good! My dad whipping the potatoes into oblivion Old family China dishes