Skip to main content

Remembering 9/11...

Everyone's saying it; "can't believe it's been ten years since IT happened"...

Don't think I've ever written about how I felt that morning, or in the days preceding.


I had been up with Ally (in first grade at the time) all night who had croupe and strep throat.  I had only fallen asleep about an hour before the phone rang... Rob calling home sounding a slightly bit concerned (as rattled as Rob can possibly sound... anyone who knows him knows that he is rarely stressed and NEVER gets worked up over anything... a reasonably sensible guy) over things he was hearing.  As he asked me questions, I could hear panic and sirens in the background.  One of the first things he asked was if I knew what was going on.  He said they were hearing stories about the World Trade Center and the Pentagon (to which I panicked a bit... having lived not far from the Pentagon and knowing that area very well).  He asked me to turn on the TV....  I, like so many others watched in horror as they repeatedly showed a clip of the second plane hitting the tower and thought that it couldn't possibly be real... I honestly thought that I was surely watching a movie, but to hear the TV reporters, it was obvious it was otherwise.  I told Rob what I was seeing and then it really began to sink in... my husband was in one of the most dangerous spots for a terrorist attack in the US.  By this time I we knew there was something going on with the Pentagon.  One thing I still can't believe I did was send Sarah to school only a half hour or so later.  Poor thing... she got on the bus knowing that our country was under attack and that her Dad was far away in a city that was one of those places.  Rob had only recently become a lobbyist for Idaho Health Care Association and was on one of his first trips to DC to meet with one of our senators at the building that annexes the US Capital.

Have to finish this later.....

Popular posts from this blog

Playing an old game.....

..... Ally and I. It happened as we were driving down Ustick Rd. the other day and saw a car with a Hawaii license plate.... then 20 seconds later Connecticut and Pennsylvania.  Now, if you've never been on Ustick Rd, you might not understand the significance of that. Ally got Alaska yesterday. Guess I better get out more.

Thanksforgiving

'Thanksforgiving' is the title to my Thanksgiving Pinterest board.... And now looking at it, I just saw it in a whole new way.... thanks + forgiving... instead of, or in addition to thanks + for + giving Interesting.... wouldn't it be awesome if we all could just forgive others of their shortcomings and be grateful for them as they are and accept them at face value instead.... the way we hope they look at us? Today I think of so many things.... What comes to mind: St. George - spent many Thanksgivings there while growing up and always spent time horseback riding over that weekend 4-day school vacation Dang!  In the middle of making this list I just remembered I forgot to make the Corn Soup... ugh... The 'Turkey Bowl' LeSueur Pumpkin Crunch Torte... I made a half this year which is baking (hopefully... something's up with my oven) as I type.... and man oh man, it sure smells good! My dad whipping the potatoes into oblivion Old family China dishes