Skip to main content

Remembering 9/11...

Everyone's saying it; "can't believe it's been ten years since IT happened"...

Don't think I've ever written about how I felt that morning, or in the days preceding.


I had been up with Ally (in first grade at the time) all night who had croupe and strep throat.  I had only fallen asleep about an hour before the phone rang... Rob calling home sounding a slightly bit concerned (as rattled as Rob can possibly sound... anyone who knows him knows that he is rarely stressed and NEVER gets worked up over anything... a reasonably sensible guy) over things he was hearing.  As he asked me questions, I could hear panic and sirens in the background.  One of the first things he asked was if I knew what was going on.  He said they were hearing stories about the World Trade Center and the Pentagon (to which I panicked a bit... having lived not far from the Pentagon and knowing that area very well).  He asked me to turn on the TV....  I, like so many others watched in horror as they repeatedly showed a clip of the second plane hitting the tower and thought that it couldn't possibly be real... I honestly thought that I was surely watching a movie, but to hear the TV reporters, it was obvious it was otherwise.  I told Rob what I was seeing and then it really began to sink in... my husband was in one of the most dangerous spots for a terrorist attack in the US.  By this time I we knew there was something going on with the Pentagon.  One thing I still can't believe I did was send Sarah to school only a half hour or so later.  Poor thing... she got on the bus knowing that our country was under attack and that her Dad was far away in a city that was one of those places.  Rob had only recently become a lobbyist for Idaho Health Care Association and was on one of his first trips to DC to meet with one of our senators at the building that annexes the US Capital.

Have to finish this later.....

Popular posts from this blog

Lake McDonald, Montana

Have I ever talked about my thing for rocks?  Have had it since I was a little girl.... loved to collect rocks and go to rock shops.  I even have a few sitting next to my bed (nothing bigger than what fits in the palm of your hand) right now that've caught my fancy the last year or so... or that someone's given me.  Like the small white one Ally gave to me from our trip to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, at the Quileute Indian Reservation beach (okay, yeah... so it was really to see 'Twilight' country, but we saw some pretty amazing scenery as well)... and then a black rock Rob found on our trip to the Oregon Coast last year. Anyway... there's this lake in Montana ... Lake McDonald ... obviously from the subject heading... and it's got shores of brightly-colored rocks.  So guess what got added to the bucket list as soon as I saw the photos?  Yep... I will go there... for the rocks.... just to see the pretty colors. 

Today...

Sunset over Sierra Nevada Mountain Range... FOR Sierra <3 How fragile life is, how certain death ... Every thoughtful person has asked himself the question best phrased by Job of old: "If a man die, shall he live again?" Try as we might to put the question out of our thoughts, it always returns. Death comes to all mankind. It comes to the aged as they walk on faltering feet. Its summons is heard by those who have scarcely reached midway in life's journey. At times it hushes the laughter of little children. ... We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, "What are we doing with today?" ~Thomas S. Monson~